The Way

The Way
My Journey Into the Community God Intended

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Finding Jesus in Caleb

(Original Post 2015)

Earlier this week, my daughter and two grandchildren came to Terrell to visit my mother-in-law (her grandmother and the kids great-grandmother). I knew she was coming, but did not know what time, so I called her only to find out she was already there. She told me her time was limited and wanted to spend as much time with Grandma as possible, so I should come over there to see them. I finished up the work I was doing and drove over to Grandma's house, about a mile from my house. Pulling up to the house, I see my 8 yr old grandson, Caleb was sitting on the ground in the driveway - waiting. As I pulled into the driveway, he jumped up and started jumping up and down, excited to see me. Almost before I was out of the car, he leaped into my arms wrapping his arms around my neck and his legs around my waist squeezing as hard as he could. Words cannot describe how this made an old DPa feel (DPa is the name given me by my first grand).


('The Loving Father' by Dottie Zens)

Now, picture Christ waiting in front of His home. He sees you coming and before you even pull in He is running to meet you and as soon as you are accessible He wraps His arms around you, pulling you close for the best hug you will ever receive - not because you did something for Him, not because He is trying to get something from you - just because you came to see Him.

Sound familiar? The story of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) mirrors this event in my mind. After realizing his monumental mistakes, the son decides to return home and beg his father for a job to work as a servant. Verse 20 says, "So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him." Forget that he squandered half  of his fathers wealth.  Forget the disrespect he showed his father when he left home.  His father ran and embraced him and kissed him in spite of what he had done.  He met him before he even got out of the car and jumped up throwing his arms around his son's neck and hugged him like there was no tomorrow.

I saw Christ in my grandson Caleb this week and I just wanted to share this with those of you who might read this so you might be looking for Christ in those around you, perhaps in the most unexpected people.  He is there - waiting for you.  And He has a hug waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for submitting your thoughts. I will add your comments to the blog as soon as possible!